Friday, September 12, 2008

Ramadan 2008/Ramadan 1429

The last 3 years, I was in Kerala, India during Ramadan when I was studying at College. and before that I used to be in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. And this time I am in Kolkata. This is the first Ramadan after I joined my first job.I had heard that there are lots of beautiful mosques in and around Kolkata. Though, I am having a tough time finding them. Everytime I check my mail and Orkut scrap, people are asking me how's work during ramadan and what are the timings, et cetera. I pointed out to them that here in India, there are no changes in job timings(like you have it in the gulf countries).

Nowadays, I am making an effort to understand the meanings of the verses in The Holy Quran. I rely on a a new publication of Abdullah Yusuf Ali's 1934 Translation of the Quran. I used to read the Quran in it's Arabic script without really understading its meaning. But now, when I am getting the essence of the Holy Book, I am realizing that Its really Amazing! Its answering a lot of questions.Really!

Later on, through the internet, I found out that there are lot of people evangelizing Islam through music. I had already been a fan of Yusuf Islam(A.K.A Cat Stevens),a prominent convert to Islam and loved most of his songs and Nasheeds(Islamic Songs) and his previous songs such as Moonshadow,Father and Son, Wild World.. He really got this beautifull voice. I first found him through the "A is for Allah" song.

Then, the internet searches introduced me to Zain Bikkha and Dawud Wharnsby Ali,another convert. Zain Bikkha and Dawud Wharnsby Ali have really nice numbers to their credit.
This particular song, "No, You can't take it With You" is a real good example of showing how pure messages can be communicated through music.
I hope the whole or atleast the majority of the music, media, etc portray such meaningful and useful messages.
I listen to Talks of Yusuf Estes when I get time. He has got this way of keeping you awake [:-)] throughout his speech. His style is excellent and I really enjoy and learn while listening to him.

My top 10 Songs/Nasheeds:
Welcome O Ramadan (English)
The Articles of Faith(Arabic/English)
Don't Talk to me about Mohammed(English)
What Did I do Today(English/Arabic)
Allah Knows(English)
Not Afraid to Stand alone(English)
Ramadan Moon(English)
I look I see(English)
Animals Love Quran(English)
Sing Children of the World(English)

Videos to Learn From:
Talk by Yusuf Estes regarding Ramadan - Part 1
Talk by Yusuf Estes regarding Ramadan - Part 2

Lets pray for peace and harmony in the world and to eradicate poverty.
May Peace be Upon You!

No comments: